Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Getting Versed on the Eastside DJ scene

The randomest encounters are the best! At the closing of the Giant Robot show at the Japanese museum I met Juan Devis, who introduced me to the great Web Stories series on KCET.org. Back in 2008 (yes, I know I am late to this), he and his crew produced some great short videos on backyard parties and the dj culture that happened in the Eastside. They have people talk about what it was like being part of that scene, from the 70s to now. Check out the 80s one especially, you will hear the beginnings of the Power 106 dj's in the Origins segment, and you can see El Sereno in the background in Flat Tops & the Promoters. They also have mixtapes for each year! I couldn't stop smiling, it can really take you back, and it provides you with some essential history on the Southern California music scene.
http://kcet.org/explore-ca/web-stories/backyardparties/

No comments:

Post a Comment